I am SO excited to have this ready to share with you all today. This has been a long old time in the making!
I first thought I'd like to cover a bag wth buttons several years ago. I keep my eyes open in charity shops thinking I might see something suitable, then thought maybe I should just make a cloth bag myself. Then in April 2015 I took a long haul flight in premium economy. Premium economy was fab, well worth the small amount extra it worked out....but this is not a travel review. On the overnight flight we were given little bags with a few toiletries. Very nice, very handy and a nice little clutch bag to take home and transform!
It was a grey felt with a button fastening and fully lined on the inside.
- You will need WAY more buttons than you would think. I thought I had loads but ran out and had to wait to source some more from old garments and charity shop purchases.
- Use regular sewing thread but have it double for strength.
- Don't have your thread too long, it will catch on the buttons. Just accept you will have to cast off and start a new length of thread often.
- It's a little tedious, so sew the buttons on whilst watching tv.
- This is not a quick craft, it will take ages. That's ok, not everything has to be instant, not all crafts are quick.
- My bag had an elastic loop to secure it. I simply swapped the button it fastened to for one with a shank.
- Your bag will be significantly heavier with all those buttons attached.