I started this stash buster blanket project about 2 years ago, maybe even longer. I have picked it up and done a bit whenever I've not had something else on the go that I can get on with of an evening if I'm watching TV. I like to crochet or knit when the telly is on, it feels like less of a waste of time!
I feel very happy to have made such a lovely bright blanket without spending much money at all. However I am surprised that my stash doesn't seem to be any smaller....not sure how that works!
I shared some photos of this as an ongoing work in progress back in April 2014.
Most of the yarn I used is UK Double Knitting, which I believe is something like a light worsted, the thickness varied slightly as yarn does but it all evened out in the end. I used a 4.5mm hook (although it is possible a few squares where made with a 4mm hook - the big problem with long term projects!)
I cannot tell you how much yarn I used, it really is all my left over bits and pieces, except for the sparkly grey which joins all the central squares. I brought 3 100g balls for that. Originally I planned for the whole thing to be with the grey but when the 3rd ball ran out I found I had quite a bit of black in my stash so gave it a border of black instead of buying more.
The whole thing is made from granny square rounds, joined with the "join as you go method", no sewing the squares together - bonus!
For a border to finish it off nicely I did 4 rounds of UK trebles (that's US doubles) As you can see in the photos I just joined a new colour as the last one ran out, I like how this adds to the "stash buster" effect.