Summer is on its way (for us folks in the northern hemisphere anyway) so I’m bringing you a lovely selection of free summer sewing projects.
I’ve included a real mix of ideas; games for the kids, simple garments and picnic, beach and pool accessories to help keep you cool as the temperature rises. Just click through the highlighted part of the text to go to the relevant site and the tutorial and free sewing pattern.
And if you are a southern hemisphere person who is heading into Autumn, just pin this for later in the year!
1) Coral + Co have such a clever project, a Beach Towel and Tote Bag in one, a beach or pool holiday must make!
2) Sew Simple Home has some Ice Pop Holder ideas that are so much fun. Practical and fun, you could even get the kids involved with making these for themselves
3) Keep your sunnies safe from sand and suncream finger marks with this Sunglasses Case from Heather Handmade
4) Make a fun game for the garden, this washable Bean Bag Game is made from Upcycled Denim and fabric scraps
5) Orange Bettie has a free pattern to make a fabulous Summer Bucket Hat , they don’t take too much fabric either
6) No need to tumble dry in the summer, get that washing out on the line! Turn an old canvas shopping bag into a practical peg bag
7) A brilliant upcycling idea, make a hardwearing picnic blanket from old jeans, it’s backed with a shower curtain too so it’s waterproof. Crafting My Home has all the details.
8) Cucicucicoo has a tutorial to make THE quickest and easiest cap sleeved T-Shirt, start to finish in about 15 minutes!
9) Use up fabric scraps to make pretty bunting to decorate your outdoor space
10) Make a practical summer tote in a pretty pleather, Life Sew Savory show you how
11) A useful drawstring back pack from Always Expect Moore. Just bung in all your summer essentials and you’re ready to go
12) Keep bugs off your picnic food this summer with these fabric bowl covers by Vicky Myers Creations
13) These picnic coasters from Flamingo Toes with their funny little line of ants are too cute
14) Upgrade your old jeans for summer by cutting them off into shorts and adding some lace trim
15) I love these drawstring fish bags from Cloud 9 Fabric, what fun!
16) This pool lounger cover from Sew She Can is borderline genius! Such a clever make and a real upgrade to your poolside experience!
17) Polka Dot Chair has a great tutorial to make a beautiful but simple to sew beach cover up
18) Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom has a brilliant tutorial for a pillowcase dress. Simple to make and perfect for any age, Jamie has pattern details to make a dress like this from toddler size right up to 16
19) Anna Marie Horner has this clever idea a Tote-able Towel. You add a little extra to a towel to make it SO much easier to carry to and from the beach and pool.
20) Another summer top that is simplicity itself to make, just 4 seams and it’s done. Perfect for hot summer days.
Have I inspired you to get the sewing machine out to sew something ready for summer?